R. I. Parents' Network, Busy Building Stronger Families
RIPN doesn't make a lot of noise. Persistent persuasion is at work instead.
Four years ago, teamed with over a dozen Moms, Eva Bosbach evolved the Island Kids Baby Group to include all parents, not just those with babies. Bosbach continues as the group's coordinator, although as we saw with their successful team effort to win funds for increased Pre-K attendance, she does not work alone.
Today, a Google Group serves RIPN's members with shared information and discussions about schools, daycare and other services answering common needs. When a parent reads a useful article about kids or families, he or she posts a link in the group.
At a practical level, Roosevelt Island parents exchange cars seats and help each other to hand-me-down clothes and toys as children grow out of them so quickly. They may team up for a museum visit or a community nature stroll.
Interacting with elected officials along with RIOC and RIRA to keep awareness of family issues high is an ongoing effort. The RIPN participates as an active member of the Community Coalition set up to represent Roosevelt Island resident interests in the integration with Cornell Tech.
RIPN's involvement in creative and constructive activities stands out and is what we want to focus on. It organizes valuable events for Moms, Dads and Kids on Roosevelt Island.
All parents and guardians responsible for children are encouraged to join the group and take part in its activities.
Here is what the Roosevelt Island Parents' Network is up to this week:
- "The RI Parents' Network's RI MoM Yoga is back!" On Thursday, October 20th, at 9:30 a.m., activities begin with a walk that leads to a session with certified yoga instructor Maiko Akiba, followed by indoor play time. If you want to attend, contact the instructor at firstname.lastname@example.org with the age of your child or children. Space is limited, and the location will be provided after you register with Maiko.
- As part of a continuing series of creative activities, "Halloween Craft" will take place on Saturday, October 22nd, 2016, from 10-11 am. "The children will be making pumpkins and Dracula heads on paper plates. Those can be used as window art or as a main door decoration during the Halloween celebrations. The children will create pumpkins with glue and color the paper plates using their imagination to bring a Dracula to life by adding different shapes cutouts. Also we will have masks ready for the children to decorate and take along for dress-up." Contact coordinator Eva Bosbach (email@example.com) for additional details.
- On Sunday, October 23rd, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., the R. I. Parents' network hosts a panel discussion, "Choosing the Kindergarten," with shared insights and information. Here, too, Eva Bosbach is the person to contact for details: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Roosevelt Island Parents' Network offers an invaluable network of mutually shared information, services and happenings. Its Google Group is a continuously updated source of interest for parents.
If you are responsible for kids as a parent, grandparent or legal guardian, you are encouraged to contact Eva (email@example.com) to learn how to get involved.
Coming Up/Don't Miss Events
- Continuing, Vernissage 16 at Gallery RIVAA Updated 3 days ago
- April 8th/9th FDR Four Freedoms: Looking For a Few Good Volunteers
- April 1st, RIRA Announces Its Annual Easter Egg Hunt Updated 1 week ago
- Continuing, Piotr Olszewski, Photographer, at the Octagon Gallery
- March 30th, Rent Freeze NYC at Carter Burden/RI Senior Center Updated 5 days ago
- March 29th, Cornell Tech Community Town Hall at Manhattan Park Theatre Club
- March 23rd, RI Parents' Network MoM Walk