New York at the Center of a Nation In Crisis
“As an American and the grandson of immigrants I am profoundly saddened by the President’s Executive Order on immigration issued today. The United States has been a beacon of hope to the world. We are a country founded on the belief of religious pluralism and equality. Today the President sent a shamefully different message. He has temporarily suspended nearly all refugee admissions, indefinitely banned refugee admissions from Syria, and imposed a 90-day ban on all immigration from a number of Muslim-majority countries. These policies do not reflect the values of the United States or of New York City. We must continue to embrace refugees in need who are victims of terror, not terrorists. We must protect and celebrate religious pluralism. In this great city of immigrants we will remain true to our values and always welcome all who yearn to breathe free.”
As many have noticed, the media and our elected representatives have acted to normalize Trump. We recommend your notifying them that this is not normal or acceptable to American values and traditions.
Coming Up/Don't Miss Events
- March 2nd, RIHS Presents "North Brother Island: The Last Unknown Place in NYC Updated 1 day ago
- Continuing, Robert Kippur: A New York Outsider at Gallery RIVAA Updated 2 weeks ago
- Continuing, Special Reception, for Owen Miracle Maselli's An African Winter Updated 3 days ago
Stories about winning by losing....
Get Alerts & Updates Twice Weekly in Your Email
Because the world is full of illusions...
Popular This Week
- Did you hear the one about how RIRA's going to elect RIOC Board Members?
- Rosenthal Guides RIOC Board Through Tough Issues
- Mark Your Calendars: Roy Eaton Free Concert "I Remember Mama"
- Rally Round, Roosevelt Islanders - Let's Help Local Businesses
- From the Parents' Network to the Senior Center, Roosevelt Island Celebrates Love