About RIOC's Pilot Program Opening Up Underused Community Spaces
A frequently heard lament is that our growing population and other changes have left Roosevelt Islanders without enough space for less formal get-togethers serving our many diverse interests. Politically active folks can join in Common Council or Community Coalition discussions, and theatrical performers find a welcoming nucleus in the Main Street Theatre & Dance Alliance.
Some gather at the Riverwalk Bar and Grill for social and business meetings.
But what about book lovers eager to share their latest finds? Yoga devotees who enjoy stretching with friends? Or even individuals seeking a quiet place where mindfulness meditation can blossom away from smartphones, rumbling buses and helicopters chopping overhead?
RIOC heard you and is opening up underused space in the Cultural Center at 548 Main Street in a pilot to see how much interest there really is. Spaces will be made available to residents only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, each week, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. "...for recreational, cultural, and/or educational purposes."
The announcement goes on to say, "The intention is to give the general public, unaffiliated with for-profit or non-profit corporations, the opportunity to utilize community space, which may include group study sessions, exercise activities, and book clubs; as well as quiet space for individuals to relax, read, study or meditate."
To set aside space beginning on Monday, February 13th, get more information or sign up for the Public Space Pilot Program, please call Donna Masly at 212-891-6540 or via email at Permits@rioc.ny.gov.
This effort looks like it could be a winner. It will be interesting to see what kind of response RIOC gets.
Coming Up/Don't Miss Events
- March 2nd, RIHS Presents "North Brother Island: The Last Unknown Place in NYC Updated 1 day ago
- Continuing, Robert Kippur: A New York Outsider at Gallery RIVAA Updated 2 weeks ago
- Continuing, Special Reception, for Owen Miracle Maselli's An African Winter Updated 3 days ago
Stories about winning by losing....
Get Alerts & Updates Twice Weekly in Your Email
Because the world is full of illusions...
Popular This Week
- Did you hear the one about how RIRA's going to elect RIOC Board Members?
- Rosenthal Guides RIOC Board Through Tough Issues
- Mark Your Calendars: Roy Eaton Free Concert "I Remember Mama"
- Rally Round, Roosevelt Islanders - Let's Help Local Businesses
- From the Parents' Network to the Senior Center, Roosevelt Island Celebrates Love