Sportspark Set To Reopen by March...
If you're eager to get back in the pool or to shoot some hoops, consider the contingent term "expected." As the announcement continued, "Although scheduled work in the facility is completed, we are still awaiting final approval from the NYC Department of Buildings before the facility can be reopened."
Facility Details: Click here
RIOC has done it's part, installing a new roof and a boiler and repairing the popular pool on which the Marlins Swim Team and many individuals rely for fitness. Now, the City needs to flash a green light to get the doors opened.
Sportspark shut down in Mid-August with a hoped for reopening before Thanksgiving, but complex projects are prone to snags. Unexpected difficulties crash carefully made plans and must be addressed. For all the hoopla over the MTA's mad dash to open the 2nd Avenue Subway to beat an end of the year deadline, for example, it was actually years behind its original schedule.
Its aging aggravated by years of stalled or inadequate maintenance, Sportspark was bound to spring some surprises.
Nonetheless, RIOC President Susan Rosenthal exercised her passion for upgrading infrastructure, overly optimistic as it turned out about the time required. Even as some things are always out of your control, the work needed to be done.
Ahead are initiatives involving the Smallpox Hospital historic site, the Roosevelt Island Bridge helix and Blackwell House, all inherited by Rosenthal after years of indecision and neglect by prior administrations. Delays and frustrations will be inevitable. All public projects and many private ones are forced to manage them.
There are no signs, however, that the difficulties have dampened Rosenthal's commitment to finally getting the jobs done.
Coming Up/Don't Miss Events
- March 29th, Cornell Tech Community Town Hall at Manhattan Park Theatre Club
- Continuing, Vernissage 16 at Gallery RIVAA Updated 1 week ago
- March 31st, April 1st, 2nd, "Sondheim On Sondheim" at MST&DA Updated 1 day ago
- March 29th, Motorgate Gallery Opening
- March 28th, Indivisible New York Meeting Updated 4 days ago
- April 8th/9th FDR Four Freedoms: Looking For a Few Good Volunteers
- April 1st, RIRA Announces Its Annual Easter Egg Hunt Updated 2 weeks ago
- Continuing, Piotr Olszewski, Photographer, at the Octagon Gallery
- March 30th, Rent Freeze NYC at Carter Burden/RI Senior Center Updated 1 week ago