Sportspark Set To Reopen by March...
If you're eager to get back in the pool or to shoot some hoops, consider the contingent term "expected." As the announcement continued, "Although scheduled work in the facility is completed, we are still awaiting final approval from the NYC Department of Buildings before the facility can be reopened."
Facility Details: Click here
RIOC has done it's part, installing a new roof and a boiler and repairing the popular pool on which the Marlins Swim Team and many individuals rely for fitness. Now, the City needs to flash a green light to get the doors opened.
Sportspark shut down in Mid-August with a hoped for reopening before Thanksgiving, but complex projects are prone to snags. Unexpected difficulties crash carefully made plans and must be addressed. For all the hoopla over the MTA's mad dash to open the 2nd Avenue Subway to beat an end of the year deadline, for example, it was actually years behind its original schedule.
Its aging aggravated by years of stalled or inadequate maintenance, Sportspark was bound to spring some surprises.
Nonetheless, RIOC President Susan Rosenthal exercised her passion for upgrading infrastructure, overly optimistic as it turned out about the time required. Even as some things are always out of your control, the work needed to be done.
Ahead are initiatives involving the Smallpox Hospital historic site, the Roosevelt Island Bridge helix and Blackwell House, all inherited by Rosenthal after years of indecision and neglect by prior administrations. Delays and frustrations will be inevitable. All public projects and many private ones are forced to manage them.
There are no signs, however, that the difficulties have dampened Rosenthal's commitment to finally getting the jobs done.
Coming Up/Don't Miss Events
- March 2nd, RIHS Presents "North Brother Island: The Last Unknown Place in NYC Updated 1 day ago
- Continuing, Robert Kippur: A New York Outsider at Gallery RIVAA Updated 2 weeks ago
- Continuing, Special Reception, for Owen Miracle Maselli's An African Winter Updated 3 days ago
Stories about winning by losing....
Get Alerts & Updates Twice Weekly in Your Email
Because the world is full of illusions...
Popular This Week
- Did you hear the one about how RIRA's going to elect RIOC Board Members?
- Rosenthal Guides RIOC Board Through Tough Issues
- Mark Your Calendars: Roy Eaton Free Concert "I Remember Mama"
- Rally Round, Roosevelt Islanders - Let's Help Local Businesses
- From the Parents' Network to the Senior Center, Roosevelt Island Celebrates Love