Rally Round, Roosevelt Islanders - Let's Help Local Businesses
Mayor Bill de Blasio throws in the money. You add the enthusiasm.
On Tuesday, de Blasio and the Department of Small Business Services announced "Love Your Local," an initiative to help small businesses that's the kind of thing you'd wish we had when Main Street Sweets struggled to survive. We have a tangible opportunity to help the others who still serve our community.
In a two-pronged effort "to celebrate and promote the diverse, independent, small businesses that enrich neighborhoods across New York City," the city invests $1.8 million in "grant funding and expert advice to help them better meet competitive pressure."
Step one begins with you.
A website has been created: NYC Love Your Local. When you visit the page, you'll find a link to the map where you can list any and all local businesses you love and tell the world why. This gives them a boost of free publicity and adds them to a map of all five boroughs.
Let's clog that map by nominating every one of our local businesses for a grant (Chains, like Starbucks, Subway, Amalgamated and Duane Reade, are not eligible.)
If you're a business owner, there's more. You can apply for a grant directly from this webpage. Look for a link in the upper right corner, answer some questions about your business and get in mix, right away.
“New York City thrives on the energy, culture and diversity of small businesses,” is how de Blasio summarized the program's value statement. “The NYC Love Your Local program gives New Yorkers a chance to support their favorite businesses by bringing the local establishments they love into the limelight and giving them the chance to cultivate business through a nomination to win a $1.8 million grant.”
So, what are you waiting for? Now through April, go to https://loveyourlocal.cityofnewyork.us/ and get your favorite Roosevelt Island business on the map. Telling the world why they're great costs you nothing, and it's loaded with rewards.
Coming Up/Don't Miss Events
- March 2nd, RIHS Presents "North Brother Island: The Last Unknown Place in NYC Updated 1 day ago
- Continuing, Robert Kippur: A New York Outsider at Gallery RIVAA Updated 2 weeks ago
- Continuing, Special Reception, for Owen Miracle Maselli's An African Winter Updated 3 days ago
Stories about winning by losing....
Get Alerts & Updates Twice Weekly in Your Email
Because the world is full of illusions...
Popular This Week
- Did you hear the one about how RIRA's going to elect RIOC Board Members?
- Rosenthal Guides RIOC Board Through Tough Issues
- Mark Your Calendars: Roy Eaton Free Concert "I Remember Mama"
- Rally Round, Roosevelt Islanders - Let's Help Local Businesses
- From the Parents' Network to the Senior Center, Roosevelt Island Celebrates Love